[bksvol-discuss] Re: usinf search and Advanced Search

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 12:21:35 -0400

If she has ever explained it I missed it. I did not even realize that the default of the search engine was set up that way until this discussion prompted me to examine the language combo box more carefully.

On 3/21/2012 11:45 AM, Kelly Pierce wrote:
Has Betsy, Bookshare’s Executive Director, ever explained why she
decided that the default search would be American English only rather
than to search all English-language titles.  If so, what was her
response? It would be fair to say that the expectation of a typical
user conducting a default search is a broad and wide search of all
English language titles.  It seems rather odd that Bookshare treats
British English like a foreign language when catalog searches at the
world’s largest libraries 100 times the size of Bookshare do not do
this.

Kelly

On 3/21/12, Roger Loran Bailey<rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>  wrote:
Here is an interesting characteristic of the advanced search. When I set
it to British English and leave all other fields blank I get 135
results. When I set it to American English and leave all other fields
blank I get 136,114 results. When I set it to all languages and leave
all other fields blank I get no results. I had thought that when I went
to the advanced search form and just clicked the search command without
filling out anything I was getting an exact number of the books in the
entire collection. However, this discussion tells me that I should have
examined all the fields before making that assumption. The default
language is set to American English and so I was getting only an exact
count of books in American English. As much as I would like to get that
exact count of all books, however, I must admit that it is only to
satisfy my curiosity and I have no real use for it. Searching more than
one language at a time while excluding others can be useful though.
Other than English the only language I have ever learned well enough to
communicate in is Spanish and it has been so long since I made use of
that skill I no longer have that ability. So I really have no need to
search for anything but English. The problem is that British English and
American English are treated by the search engine as separate languages
and as far as I am concerned they are the same language because I can
understand both quite well. Since the number of books in American
English are of such a greater number I should search for anything I
might be looking for there first, but I would not want to exclude
British English from my search. It would be very good if I could search
only both of those languages at once and exclude others. Even if
searching all languages does not work if all other search fields are
left blank I suppose it does if I search for something specific and I
suppose I could just skip over results in foreign languages, but it
would be very nice if I could search both British and American English
at the same time while excluding the other languages.

On 3/21/2012 3:58 AM, Cindy wrote:
   Experience has taught me, after now not finding another book that I knew
was in the collection, that it's necessary to change the Language to Any;
the default seems to be U.S., but that means if the language is British,
and the scanner or proofer puts, correctly, U.K. that your search for a
book won't get you to the book. So either bookshare instructions should be
changed to tell us to put U.S. for all books we scan or proof, or people
looking for books should change the language, when looking for a tile, to
Any

TinyURL.com/752cyrs