[bksvol-discuss] Re: The Hobbit returns!

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 12:38:36 -0400

I just checked and The Hobbit is classified as American English. I located it by using the simple search field found on the main Bookshare page. Then I wondered what would happen if I used that to look for a title that I know is in British English. I searched for Nowhere on Earth by Michael Elder. It came up. Then I searched for the same thing with the advanced search and left the language at the default of American English. It did not come up. It appears that if you use the simple search it will search all languages, but if you use the advanced search you will get only American English results unless you tell it to search something other than the default. I suppose that is okay if you remember to specify the language, but it would make more sense to me if the default was all languages. And, again, this is only for my curiosity and has no real use for me, but it would be very nice to be able to just click one button and find out how many books are in the entire collection. I thought I was doing that, but it appears that to get that exact count it is necessary to do a search for each language and then add them up.

On 3/21/2012 11:57 AM, Kelly Pierce wrote:
Carie,

It seems Bookshare is missing operational systems for dealing with
publisher-quality books that are withdrawn and where a
volunteer-produced copy exists.  Publisher quality submissions
displace volunteer produced copies. However, it doesn’t seem that an
organizational mechanism exists to return the volunteer-produced copy
when the publisher copy is removed.

Might this title have been returned to the collection but classified
as British English and not be located with the default search, which
Betsy apparently has decided to be American English only rather than
all English titles?

Kelly

On 3/21/12, Judy s.<cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Yay, Carrie! smile.

Judy s.

On 3/20/2012 5:30 PM, Carrie Karnos wrote:
Hi gang,

The volunteer and publisher copies of The Hobbit were both withdrawn,
leaving us without the book and bereft. I worked out a way to return
the volunteer copy of the book to the collection, since the publisher
requested that we withdraw their copy. The Hobbit is now safely
ensconced at http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/29782/.

Thanks for letting me know about this gap in the collection. If there
are any other books that have vanished without being replaced by PQ
books, please let me know.

Thanks! Carrie