[bksvol-discuss] Re: uploading book

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 01:44:00 -0600

Hi Gail.

That message could mean one of two things:

Sometimes one gets that message when the file is found but something about it is not recognized by the bookshare software. If this is the case, (most often this occurs when one is converting from Kurzweil to .rtf, you must open the file with ms word, if you have it, put any character somewhere in the book, then delete that character, and save the file. I know it sounds crazy, but the bookshare software seems to prefer a Microsoft save to a Kurzweil save.

The second possibility is that the file cannot really be found. On the upload screen there are two ways to indicate which file you want to upload: there is an edit field where you can enter the name of the file (more about that in a moment), and right after that is a "browse" button. Hitting the browse button shows you the file structure on your computer, just like the open dialog does. Go find the file, and click open (I think it's open) and your file name should appear in the edit field I spoke of earlier, above the browse button..

Another method of filling out the name of your file is use a little program called copypath which you can get from http://www.wolosoft.com/en/copypath/ This little program allows you to find the file with explorer and copy the entire path name to your clipboard. Then when you go to upload a file, you just press enter on the edit field for the file name to go into forms mode, then hit control v to paste the path name of your file into that field. This bypasses the browse button altogether.

If you decide to try out copypath and find that you need help installing it or using it, send me a message off list at rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and I'll be glad to help if I can.

Hope this helps.
Bob

----- Original Message ----- From: "gail johnson" <mama-gail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>