[bksvol-discuss] Re: strange occurrence with rtf file

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:09:09 -0500

Hi Scott,

When I'm working with, or scanning, I always leave the document in ARK format until I'm ready to send the book to Bookshare. I've had problems in the past with books I've tryed to save as RTF and Word Doc files while scanning. When I came back to Openbook from my previous OCR package, I set up the default file format as first Doc and then RTF, but both did some character conversions I didn't want, so I changed the default back to ARK. Now after I complete a project I save it as an ARK file, and again as a RTF file. I then exit Openbook and check it out with Word, zip it and send it in. I leave it open in Word while I'm filling out the info on the Bookshare site, and when I'm done I exit Word and delete the RTF copy so I end up keeping only the ARK version.

In addition to what Grace has already said, I've included an old message from one of the Bookshare list that I saved. I don't use the method myself, as I don't launch from Openbook, but I thought it worth keeping.

HTH

Dave

To: Bookshare.org-discuss@xxxxxxxxxx
From: Tom Lange <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: help?
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:09:38 -0700

Howdy Liz,
You wrote:

> Hmm, tried saving it to MS Word and got some garbage, the letters "d d"
> before each line, and then converted to .rtf was the same.

Do you have Word set up as a launchable from within Open Book? I bet that
you do.  If so, try opening your scanned book, going to the Advanced menu,
then selecting Word and pressing enter. The entire book should then be
transferred into MS Word.  Do you still see those extraneous characters?  If
so, I don't know what to tell you.  But, if that works okay, then save the
book immediately, and be sure to explicitly specify a path when you do or
you'll be hunting for it until next Thursday.  <grin>  One of my pet peeves
about the launchable implementation in Open Book is that the code isn't
smart enough to assume that you want to transfer or save anything directly
to your my documents folder.

Good luck with this. If I can be of further assistance, holler.

Tom