[bksvol-discuss] Re: roman numerals

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:59:39 -0400

Lower case Roman numerals are not used only in outlines. I can assure you that I know from seeing it back in my sighted days that the preliminary pages in a book are in lower case Roman numerals. I don't know if this is universal, but if it is not then it is close because I certainly do not remember a case in which it was not in lower case Roman numerals. Other than these two cases, though, I cannot think of any other cases in which lower case Roman numerals are used. As for the use of the asterisks with chapter headings, remember that the point of using them is to indicate a blank line where you want a blank line to be preserved from the unthinking conversion tools. That would mean to me that the asterisks should be used with any kind of chapter heading, numerical or otherwise.

On 10/18/2012 8:14 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

Well, if it said to use lowercase Roman Numerals in the manual, then I bow to convention, however, lowercase Roman Numerals are only used in an outline with several levels. But, what do I know?

OK, one last question. All this hoodoo about stars and so on, is this only for chapters which have numbers only, or is it for all chapter headings?

Ann P.