[bksvol-discuss] Re: proper dealing with footnotes at the bottom of a page

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 21:44:20 -0500

That symbol that looks like a cross is called a dagger.
On 3/6/2015 2:58 AM, Judy s. wrote:
Hi Rik,

Unfortunately, that version of the Bookshare manual is outdated and has been replaced. From the current manual, here's how to handle the first part of what you've asked about:

Leave the first footnote designated as it is with an asterisk. Replace that symbol that looks like a cross that designates the seconf symbol with two asterisks. (from https://www.bookshare.org/cms/get-involved/volunteer/my-volunteer-home/scanning-and-proofreading/tips-scanning-proofing/tips) <https://www.bookshare.org/cms/get-involved/volunteer/my-volunteer-home/scanning-and-proofreading/tips-scanning-proofing/tips>

Then, although this is not in the new volunteer manual yet, how to handle footnotes themselves was posted to the list by Madeleine in 2014. Here's how to do this type:

2. For the footnotes themselves, put them at the bottom of the page, enclosed in square brackets. Put the single asterisk in front of the first one, then the double asterisk in front of the second one. Do not add the word footnotes to this.

Example:

[* this is footnote number one.
**This is footnote number two]

Hope that helps!

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 3/6/2015 1:45 AM, ohio1803@xxxxx wrote:
Quick question.
A book I am scanning has footnotes to the text that is on the same page.
The footnotes are designated by an asterisk and that little symbol that looks like a cross, not sure what you call it. The way this book did it was to have the first footnote designated with an asterisk. And the 2nd with a cross symbol, whatever you call it.
As I am reading as I scan these pages, these symbols do not speak.
So I wish to get a routine way to deal with them.
Reading the section on the Proofreading Manual, it says to replace the footnote symbols with a number in parentheses.
**
**
And to the footnotes below on the bottom of the page, to be housed inside an open and closed bracket such as this. [footnote 1: and closed with a closed bracket such as this.]
**
Is this all cool?
Or have things changed?
**
I figure it is way easier to just get this done right at the time of scanning. So I'd like feedback on the above to reassure myself of what the consensus is.
**
Thank you much.
Rik