[bksvol-discuss] Re: openbook clarification

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:30:03 -0500

Sarah,

According to Wikipedia, Windows has two characters sets that you can access
using the Alt Key.  The older 437 character set is accessed by entering a
three digit number and the newer 1252 character set which was introduced
with Windows 3.0 is accessed by entering a four digit number.

Wikipedia also says that Windows 1252 is a superset of ISO-8859-1, and that
the characters in ISO-8859-1 are equivalent to the first 256 characters of
Unicode.

If you want to know more about the subject, You can read the following two
articles from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_ASCII
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-1

The first article discusses the confusion with entering the same value as a
three digit number and a four digit number and by coincidence uses the value
151.  ù is the value of 151 in the 437 character set, and ? is the value of
151 in the 1252 character set.

The second article contains tables of both ISO-8859-1 and Microsoft's 1252
character set.  So, if you looked in the second article, you would see that
149 is the value of ?.

I discovered these articles while researching the infamous þ which pops up
in books every now and then.

HTH

Gerald