[bksvol-discuss] Re: idea for the bso and re-scan discussion

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 16:58:35 -0400

Dear E, Cindy and Everyone,

E, Cindy, and all of you who have been sending constructive suggestions, organizational ideas, and problem solving solutions, I don't understand how computer applications are accomplished, so I can't comment on the technical merits of your suggestions, but I admire your willingness to devote time and thought to the staggering undertaking to help Bookshare evolve and improve.

As I read Pratik's uplifting overview of Bookshare's tremendous growth since its inception, I wondered how many score, or even hundreds of people contributed elements, from hints and scraps and wishes, to enormous technical constructions to build the wonderful Bookshare as we know it today. All along Bookshare has been incorporating offerings from its subscribers, supporters, potential subscribers, volunteers and staff.

Because we all care about Bookshare, we are anxious to know our ideas are considered. As volunteers we want to help build the collection and support the staff. We understand staff can't possibly please all of us all of the time. I think, whatever the course of developments we are reassured knowing our feelings and contributions receive serious consideration.

I envy all of you who demonstrate the imagination and confidence to add your ideas to the mix. Change is going to continue. Change is what has brought us so far. Change is why we have 33 thousand books and easier ways to navigate the Bookshare site and submit, upload and download books. I love the way I validate, borrow books and communicate with Booksharians on the lists and with the staff so much now, that I worry that the changes may tip my canoe and somehow mar my comfortable niche in Bookshare.

In my case, I have to keep in mind, both Pratik's reminder that overall, changes have been to the good, and Lisa's willing pledge to keep us volunteers in the loop. All of the evidence and my experience indicates I should have faith, and be patient, open-minded and calm, and support Bookshare's giant steps forward, as well as it's occasional and inevitable little steps back. Just as surely as bugs will sneak in, they'll be worked out. I can't even imagine all of the wonders Pratik will recount in a progress report to us in another 6 years!

Always with love,

Lissi