[bksvol-discuss] Re: hold for revisited

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 23:14:33 -0800 (PST)

Lisa's commment, though, and Dave's reply,brings to my
mind one point. That Iam's book that Lisa agreed to do
was a female dog, to use an apt euphemism. It occurs
to me that, while a person who agrees to validate a
book and has a hold put on it for them will stick to
the agreement, even if the book is not what was
expected. On the other hand, a person who selected
that book to validate because they thought it might be
interested and who found problems with the way it was
set up might simply have released it and it might have
sat on the download list for a long time.

G.Cindy

--- talmage@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >Hi Lisa,
>
> >I do take your comments in the spirit in which
> they're given, I just
> >don't necessarily agree with them.
> >
> >Dave says: 2. for a vallidator with specific
> interest in the project;
> >Lisa says: Yes, and I think this is a perfectly
> legitimate
> >reason.  For example, I volunteered to validate
> Julie's book about
> >dogs from the Iams company.  Why?  Because I like
> dogs, and so the
> >subject is relevant to me. Julie posted to the list
> asking for
> >volunteers and I responded.  She didn't have to
> pick me, ...
>
> Dave's new comment
> I would expect in most cases validators pick books
> that are of
> interest to them and try to do a good job with them.
>  The problem I
> have is with the pick me concept, and once again
> we're back dealing
> with the list.
>

> >Dave says: 3. for the submitter's assurance that
> the book will be
> >picked up in a
> >timely manner;
> >Lisa says:  And what's wrong with this?  We have
> had books on Step 1
> >for over a year.  If a submitter knows in advance
> that someone is
> >interested in validating a book   encompassing
> specialized subject
> >matter, I see nothing wrong with having a
> validator's name listed,
> >since that book will be validated and hopefully
> added to the
> >collection in a more timely manner. ...
>
> Dave's new comment
> It doesn't really change the dynamics of the step 1
> page.  We
> continue to have books that have been on there for
> over a year, we
> have books with hold for in the title that have been
> on for months at
> a time, and all it does is preclude others  from
> downloading a
> work.  By posting to the list, an is anyone
> interested kind of
> message is fine, all it does is assure that there is
> someone willing
> to validate the book.  If when the time comes to
> validate, and the
> book can't be found, then apparently someone else
> was interested as
> well and it will end up in the same collection
> regardless of who
> validates it.  Excluding the cases where a sighted
> validator is
> needed, all the hold for can do as far as time goes
> is slow the
> process down because you're now waiting for a
> specific individual.
>
> >Lisa Says:
> think it's being selfish or elitist for a submitter
> and a validator
> to form an alliance in which books are submitted,
> validated, and
> [...]

at
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/