[bksvol-discuss] Re: categories, was Re: Building

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 18:33:37 -0700 (PDT)

But books can be put into more than one category. A book like Golden Compass
could be listed as both fantasy and science fiction. And what on earth s social
science fiction, a category that B&N has? It seems to be science fiction that
has a sociological component. Also, would you put children's fantasy and
science fiction only in Children's. My guess would be yes, but young adult I'd
put in both.

I agree with E that using the Dewey decimal categories is simplest, but perhaps
these days the LC categories are easiest to find. However, I think most
libraries still use Dewey, and a check of the online catalogs for the book
would tell the submitter or validator how to categorize the book--or maybe a
bookshare employee.

Cindy