[bksvol-discuss] Re: calling on validators to work on Christian books

  • From: Misha <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 18:29:24 -0800

I just finished validating one of the christian books. I didn't pay attention to who the submitter was, so can't say whether it was from one of the problem people. It was submitted back in July, several people took it for a week or two then released it, then it sat abandoned at the bottom of the page 1 list for several months. It had no page numbers. It had page breaks, but it was like they were dumped in randomly with no relation to the text and there were far fewer than book pages. How do I know this, because the headers scanned perfectly and according to the table of contents, there were the right number for the number of pages in each chapter. From the basic instructions in the volunteer manual, I could have just rejected it and almost did. But, it was a relatively short book so I skimmed through it putting page breaks and numbers in front of each header. Then stripped the headers, skimmed for obvious scannos and did a spelling check. It scored something like 99.95 from the automated check. Of course, not all books have page headers which were the only thing that made cleaning up this book rather than rejecting it reasonable.

Misha

Grandma Cindy wrote:
I validated one of the nun's books--I think it was an
old fiction. It was on the download list with the note
that one cannot validate one's own books, so perhaps
she'd tried. It had been on the download list for
quite some time, so apparently she doesn't care what
happens after she submits, since she never questioned
what had happened to it.

I was surprised at the  problems there were, but I
enjoyed reading the book and didn't mind fixing it. I
guess I feel an extra obligation to help a nun.

I don't mind reading Christian fiction, or what I've
been told is not actually Christian fiction but comes
close, like the Jan Karon book I validated.
Unfortunately, I already have 5 books downloaded and
several others I sort of promised to do, but when I'm
ready... How would I know the fiction books have
Christian themes? The nonfiction I'm not really
interested in doing, though I have validated at least
one that I enjoyed reading and a couple of others
that, with my personal beliefs, I kept shaking my head
at--no offense I hope. I certainly understand how they
can bring comfort and solace to those who believe, and
sometimes I wish I did.

G.Cindy

WISH LIST (called Requested Additions To The Bookshare Collection)is available at http://people.delphiforums.com/jamiecalton/Book_Requests.htm
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/