[bksvol-discuss] Re: calling on validators to work on Christian books

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:37:49 -0500

Hi, Sharon. I'm not Elizabeth, but I've seen some of what she's describing. I think Elizabeth and I may be dealing with two different submitters though, since the one I know of isn't a nun. The end result is the same though.

We have a submitter who submits clean scans, but there isn't a page break to be found. There are page numbers and headers, but they appear in the middle of the text with no way to find them but to read the book cover to cover, inserting page breaks manually. They show up as part of sentences with the text flowing around them like water flows around a rock in a stream. Since this lady submits mostly Christian nonfiction that is kind of heavy reading, validating her books is time-consuming. It's also difficult to know for sure that all of the content is present until you have all of the page breaks inserted. I spent 6 hours working on the last book, only to find several missing paragraphs or missing pages toward the middle of the book. Without the page breaks, I really couldn't tell what was missing and ended up having to reject the book.

What's weird is that her original files lack page breaks. She has sent me her kes files for some of her scans, and they have had no page breaks. I'm at a loss to know what is causing this. If page breaks weren't required, most of this lady's books could be accepted because the text is very cleanly scanned. I don't like this situation, but one of our rules is that page breaks are required. So either we need to find some volunteers who are willing to read through her books and insert page breaks, or we need to find out what's causing this problem in the first place. My vote is for the second option because then her books would be very easy validations. To my knowledge, this person isn't on either of the Bookshare lists. I don't know how to help her or what is causing the trouble. So the first option, finding volunteers to tackle her books, may have to be done. Rejecting such clean scans seems wrong to me. What a mess!

Monica Willyard

Sharon wrote:
In the examples you have seen, is there anything that tells you a page break
be inserted, like a page number or a chapter or book title at the top of a
page?
Sharon