[bksvol-discuss] Re: a little frustrated with a book I'm working on

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 15:03:02 -0700

Hi Jamie,

        Well, the simplest question first. Page numbers need to be on a
separate line and separated from the text on the page by a blank line
because the tool that converts the rtf file to daisy and braille needs this
separation to know what information to use as page number navigation.
Without separating the page number from the text on the page by a blank
line, that tool doesn't know what text is a page number and what text is
just text to be read.

        Microsoft word inserts page numbers that are only visible when
printing a document.  They are not part of the text. Page numbers need to be
actually typed into the rtf document to actually appear there as text.

        As for being totally blind, that shouldn't cause you any problems in
and of itself.  Many of us, myself included, are totally blind and complete
these tasks regularly and without problems. So, take hope, you can do it
too.  We just need to figure out how to help you learn to do it.

        Junk characters are characters that mean nothing in the text.  Very
often, the headers in books scan as junk because OCR doesn't understand the
font that the headers are printed in and can't interpret it as text.  So we,
as readers of a scanned book see junk.  That's why we remove it.  Just
remove it, the junk that is.

        Headers almost always appear on the same line as the page number
when the page number is at the top of the page.  That is very likely what
the junk is that you are seeing that is garbled.

        It happens very often that chapter headings are not preceded on the
page by a page number.  I honestly doubt that garbage that you see on a line
after a page number is a chapter heading. That is very uncommon.  You will
need to locate each chapter heading and put the page number and a blank line
before it on the page.  Otherwise, the stripper (same tool that I mentioned
above with an evil glitch) may remove the chapter headings. This needs to be
done by hand.

        Some of the books that you work on will be clearer scans than others
depending on a lot of things. Some books just don't scan well. Lots of
factors contribute to that, quality of paper, type of font used, lighting in
the room when the book was scanned, skill of the person doing the scan, lots
of things, including how much preparatory work the submitter did before the
book got to you.

        You don't need to rescan missing text necessarily.  Very often the
submitter of the book can rescan the needed pages and send you via e-mail
the missing text.  If the submitter no longer has access to the book,
perhaps someone else can rescan the text that you need, if you don't have,
can't get, or can't scan that missing text for yourself.  Lots of options
there. You just need to choose one and ask.

        I'm not sure where the trouble comes with removing duplicated text.
I don't know if you don't trust yourself to know what should be removed, or
if you don't know the keystrokes to remove it.  The first is easy.  If you
read text twice, probably the repetition needs to go.  If you need to know
the keystrokes to select and remove text, we can help you with that, but it
would help to know what software you're using to work on books.

        Have I covered all of your questions?  If not, just ask.

Mayrie