[bksvol-discuss] Re: Wishlist Request

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:04:00 -0400

Dinesh D'Souza is an absolutely terrific author of non-fiction, essay and
opinion works.  I haven't read this book yet but I feel confident that I can
recommend it to anyone, no matter their position on the topic, as the issues
will be masterfully explained and beautifully described.  He is often a
guest on Book TV (CSPAN 2 on weekends) and is a regular contributor to the
Washington Post and manages to criticize his "friends" and celebrate his
"opponents" when he thinks they are either right or wrong.

He told my favorite anecdote of his in a Book TV lecture and, I paraphrase:
"I [D'Sosa speaking in the first person] was flying back to Washington from
my family home in India.  I was seated beside a young and seemingly well
educated young Indian man.  We started a conversation and he said that he
had been awarded his green card and that he was permanently relocating to
the US.  I thought for a moment and asked why he wanted to move to America.
The young man replied, 'I want to live where the poor people are fat.'"

Chris Hofstader
CUNY, BSO, ATG, Odds and Ends
email: cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Blog: http://www.blindconfidential.blogspot.com