[bksvol-discuss] Re: Why?

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 01:08:21 -0400

It's true that if you scan the book you have the book to proofread with, but
I think, in the beginning, there were very few sighted volunteers for
Bookshare. So a person without sight couldn't really compare it with the
print book, right?

And then, too, it's always good to have a second pair of eyes (um, or
fingers or ears, sorry!) to look something over. I am in general a pretty
careful scanner but I have several times submitted a book that was missing
pages and it's my custom to page down through the file counting page numbers
to make sure they are all there. I even once submitted a book that had a
chunk of pages twice.

It's like when you read a book that has errors in the print--your eyes see
what they want to see and not what is really there. So sometimes you don't
even see the mistakes.

And of course there are scanners (like me) who don't read every word of what
they scan, and there are proofreaders who don't read every word of what they
proof. So two sets of eyes on the job are better than one.

--
Jamie in Michigan

Currently Reading: Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith