[bksvol-discuss] Re: Volunteers: how much work is realistic

  • From: "Rui Cabral" <rui@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:53:35 -0400

Hi Paula:

I can assure you, almost nobody here reads their validations cover to cover,
unless they were planning to read that book anyway.

I personally have done 15 validations in the past 6 weeks (thats with some
PC problems) and only 1 of those books did I read cover to cover.
I know someone else who has validated around 40 books in around that same
timeframe.
(We would do more but that pesky full time job gets in the way every week)
(smile)

I do this by checking rank spelling which is a kurzweil 1000 feature (i
purchased the product because of bookshare)

If you don't have that available to you, spell-check is good along with
making an effort to make sure the text is complete. (note to submitters,
this is why page numbers are useful)

I'm sure there are other tricks non-k1000 users can share.

As far as guidelines,  here is a quote from an e-mail Jesse Fahmstock
(collection development coordinator) sent on 8/13/04 regarding the issue.

 1. The book is not already on Bookshare.org, or if
 it is, that it is being submitted as a superior
 replacement or transcribed Braille copy.
 2. The book is not an eBook acquired under
 proprietary agreement (e.g. a commercial eBook, a
 book from WebBraille, etc.)
 3. The copyright name and date are included.
 4. The title and author are included somewhere in
 the book.
 5. The book is not missing multiple pages of core
 content (core content does not include tables of
 contents, indeces, picture pages, or other front or
 back matter and the like).
 6. The book is readable.

 If a book meets all of these requirements, you may
 absolutely accept the book. Indeed, I encourage it.
 If the book is missing page numbers, or has running
 headers, or the table of contents is jumbled, or the
 title page is missing (but the above info is still
 available), those are not bases for rejecting the
 book.
-- end of Jesse's e-mail

Now Paula,  the problem a lot of us have with those guidelines is number's 5
and 6.
Specifically #6, whether a book is readable or not as we all know is a
subjective judgement.
Now, I don't know about you, but when i curl up with a good book, i like to
read my books, not interpret them.
If a book has a lot of errors to the point that your guessing at what words
might mean or whole passages are garbled, missing, etc.  These are the
things we are trying to avoid.  And yes this might mean we might spend a
little longer with a book,  but maybe not.  Because if a book is that choppy
like i described, I reject it. I know a better scan can be had for that
book.  If you go to:
http://members.cox.net/booksharescans
you will see a website that I built that basically centers on TEXT quality.

We have the ability to make bookshare a true accesspoint for information and
recreational reading in this country.

 Why not make it a quality experience equal to a 50,000 Watt radio station
instead of a
 static-filled A.M. station fading in and out.
 \|*j :