[bksvol-discuss] Re: Volunteers: how much work is realistic

  • From: Paula Mack <pmack1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 13:06:24 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Hi Kellie,

I must be weird, because I would find editing while reading, or even before
reading,  a barier to my enjoyment of the book.  Books have been my escape
since I was a kid, and I enjoy nothing more than to relax with a good book.
What I've been doing for the validation is to read a portion of the book, then
go through it with the spellcheck on my braille notetaker. Each time I see an
error, I find the spot in the text which I have open in Wordpad and correct it.
 At first, I was using Word, but decided that seeing the braille helped me
identify errors more quickly and accurately.
So I decided to use that spellchecker rather than the one in Word, so didn't
need to have Word open.

I do wish Open book had all the utilities in it to help with stripping headers
and ranking errors, but I'm kind of afraid to start fooling with the headers
myself in case I inadvertently left some in, making it more difficult for the
Bookshare staff to work on the validated book.