[bksvol-discuss] Re: Upcoming Books List

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:45:19 -0500 (EST)

Gerald

I am guessing that Shelley and I may well be expressing the feelings of the typical outside volunteer.
I also hesitate posting such announcements as, on at least one occasion, a book I attempted to scan was good enough for my own reading but certainly not good enough for BookShare.
Remember, also, that only a small per centage of Bookshare submitters/validators read these lists, and most of these would not even know that Rui maintained such a list.
I'd say that such a list sounds great in theory, but likely fails the sniff test of everyday practice.
Also, thinking about it, while there is the occasional dupplication of effort, most commonly on hot new books,
it hasn't proved to be that much of a problem over the years BookShare has been around.
What's the point of my picking up a book last Saturday from the library,
Girl of Kosovo, and then submitting it yesterdayafter scanning it.
Rui's list works better for longer term scanning projects; and many of us don't have that focus.
Before actually scanning, I am most likely to check the BookShare catalog itself, the Step 1 page, and Marissa's "in process" list to make certain that it isn't already available or in the queue.