[bksvol-discuss] Re: URL for Jake's method for eliminating end-of-line breaks

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 20:43:56 -0400

I used your method to clear out unwanted linebreaks which ought not to be there. You are correct saying they are annoying in braille. I do not think they bother the audio users. Thanks so much.

At 07:11 AM 5/29/2007, you wrote:
Cindy the curly arrows in Word are produced by pressing shift-enter. Word calls this a manual line break. Those, as far as I know, are ok to leave in.

The paragraph mark in Word is produced by pressing ctrl-enter. Word calls this a paragraph mark. Those are supposed to be at the end of paragraphs, before and after a page number, before and after a chapter heading, etc.

I think the issue here is when a book has one of those paragraph markers at the end of each line rather than the end of each paragraph. Think of a book page, and then think of a paragraph marker at the end of each line on the right of the book. That would not bother you and I to read, but apparently in Braille (and possibly when listening to Daisy, I don't know) it is a pain in the neck.

When I have validated a book that has those paragraph markers at the end of each line what I do is replace all ^p^p (two paragraph markers in a row, think of when we used to type on typewriters and at the end of a line we'd hit enter, and then at the end of a paragraph we'd hit enter enter to double space) with qqq. Then I replace all ^p with a space. Then I replace all qqq with a ^p (paragraph marker). That turns the end of line paragraph returns into a space and all double paragraph markers into a single paragraph marker. Sometimes I take out the copyright page and save it to a different file, then do this procedure, then paste the copyright page back in, so it is not all run together, if it is already pretty much properly formatted.

Jamie in Michigan
Currently reading: Berlin - Pierre Frei
<http://www.dpbolvw.net/email-1683725-10289883>Free Shipping @ Joann.com! ($35 order minimum) Use promo code MAYFSA735
Checked by AVG Free Edition.