[bksvol-discuss] Re: The Wonders of Kurzweil

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:26:12 -0400 (EDT)

Kellie

I suspect that there are practical reasons why rehab agencies opt for
specific programs or equipment over another.
One could be the comfort level that the agency has if it needs to provide
instruction in the use of the software or hardware;
it is easier if everyone is using the same thing.
A 2nd reason, in the case of Freedom Scientific which is a supplier of all
sorts of adaptive equipment,
is that they can obtain volume discounts by purchasing continually and in
bulk.
It is also possible they feel comfortable in an ongoing working
relationship with a company or certain individuals within that company..

While I am not a rehab client myself here in Illinois, from those clients
I have come across, it seems that when it comes to scanning software, Open
Book is the preference.
I am certain that it is only a matter of time, in a competitive market,
that Open Book will incorporate K1000 features and vice versa.