[bksvol-discuss] Synopses Clarification

  • From: "Allison Hilliker" <hillikera@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 18:04:36 -0700

Hello Everyone,

I've seen some of the synopses-related questions that have recently been
posted to the list and thought I'd try and clarify.

Yes, I do most of the work related to Bookshare synopses.  Often I also
manage other book data like series titles, categorization, and copyrights.

If anyone has a question about these areas, he or she may write me at
allisonh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  Also, if you have a synopses that you've written and
would like it to be uploaded to the site, I can do that too.  Simply email
me the title, author, and your synopsis, and I'll get  it on the site as
soon as I can.  This can also be done if you notice other missing data such
as a subtitle or series name that you'd like to see on the site.

Cindy has emailed me several synopses and such over the past few months and
I think that's gone quite well.

As for publisher quality imports, I'm working on that data as well.  As Pavi
explained in her post, the import software we use does not automatically
bring in all the book data so one of us has to upload each book's info
individually.  At the moment, I am the primary person who does this and I
work on it each day that we import new books.    My goal is to have all the
data up within 24 hours of book import.  This hasn't always been the case,
but recently other staff and I have come up with a system which should help
this process along.  Originally, I had to write all the synopses personally,
but thankfully we now have a site from which I can copy book summaries.
That has been a tremendous help!  Not all books have synopses available on
the site, and often I have to modify a synopses so it fits in the short
synopses field, but overall it has helped me get this book data on the site
much faster than before.

I am still happy to have feedback on the publisher quality books however.
If you have thoughts or suggestions you'd like to share I'd be glad to know.
I don't get to read this list on most days, so if you have something you
consider really important please email it to me at allisonh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for all your enthusiasm about getting synopses up on the Bookshare
site.

Happy reading!

Allison Hilliker
Collection Development Associate
WWW.Bookshare.Org
E-mail allisonh@xxxxxxxxxxxx

The Benetech Initiative - Technology Serving Humanity - A Nonprofit
Organization