[bksvol-discuss] Submitted another book

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 06:29:43 -0700

Hello Everyone,

Here is another nonfiction book for your validating pleasure. "If We Could Hear The Grass Grow" By Eleanor Craig. I'll paste the inside covers of the book below. It is in rtf format, all page numbers and chapter headings protected. I fixed as I read so it ought to be nearly perfect. It really is a good book.

Jamie or Cindy? In this book there are a few drawings made by the children about whom the book is written, as well as a few handwritten notes. The story is not diminished without them, but if either of you is interested in this kind of thing, would you consider picture descriptions and/or typing in the text of the handwritten notes? If you're both busy with other things, this book will not be unreadable at all. After all, I read it without them, and I still loved it.

        I hope someone enjoys this book.

Peace,

Mayrie

(Front Flap)

"Each day I saw more clearly what I wanted.
 To have a day camp for troubled children. And
 spend one last summer with my children in
 this house. A final chance to reweave more
 smoothly the family ties that bound us." It was
 a summer that will touch your heart. Now, in
 the same honest, thoughtful style that made
 her previous book, P.S. Your Not Listening, so
 successful, Eleanor Craig, gifted family therapist,
 teacher, and author, tells the wonderfully
 moving true story of her experiences running
 a day camp for emotionally disturbed children
 at her Connecticut home. If We Could Hear the
 Grass Grow is a funny, sad, fascinating account
 of what it's really like to cope and communicate
 with severely antisocial children on a day-to-day
 basis, deal with their violence, help
 ease their pain, and free their astonishing often
 hidden-capacity for love and sharing.
 Eleanor Craig shows us how these seemingly
 unreachable children can be reached and,
 most important, can achieve remarkable
 growth when handled by a committed, sensitive
 teacher. Among her "special kids" are:

Rodney, the "Big Man," older than his years,
 tough, uncontrollably aggressive, and as
 much in need of love as of discipline.

 Maria, sweet, undemanding, and troubled,
 one of a large Hispanic family where the
 father has a history of manic depression and
 of being physically abusive. She spends
 much of her time in fervent prayer.

 Frankie, overweight and immature, who
 acts out his mother's agoraphobia by refusing
 to leave her side, day or night.

Adam, abandoned by his young, mentally
 ill mother, and unable to communicate
 except in comic book babble.
(continued on back flap)
(continued from front flap)

Gail, alternately coy and angry, who dreams
 of the day her rejecting and alcoholic "real,
 mother will reclaim her from her loving
 foster parents.

Skipper, victim of a rare and progressive
 genetic disease which has left him deformed
 and mostly without speech, but
 whose capacity for loving seems
 undiminished.

Diane, precocious and childlike at once,
 who is pushed and pulled unmercifully
 between her divorced parents.

Against the backdrop of her marital separation
 and ensuing family upheaval, Eleanor Craig
 teaches a tough, straightforward lesson of love
 that touches even her own healthy kids, who
 return home to work as counselors and help
 her run the camp. The real truth that emerges
 from If We Could Hear the Grass Grow is a
 simple one: that patience and caring are two
 of the best medicines in the world.