[bksvol-discuss] Re: Step 2 page?

  • From: "Tiffany H. Jessen" <tjessen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:46:47 -0500

If you're using JAWS, the reason why the bookmarks don't always seem to work
is because they are made and work based on marking the line number, not the
actual text.
Like I for example, have a bookmark on the password edit field on
Bookshare's logon page, and on each following page I have the step one and
two links bookmarked, as well as the submit a book link.
They all work perfectly on the page when you first log in, but say if you
followed the step one link to look through the book options, and then are
ready to go to the step two or submit a book link, the bookmarks don't
always work because people are submitting books all the time, so the main
table on the step one page can take up a different number of lines on the
page solely depending on the minute the page loaded.
The simple solution to this would be if the links appeared at the top, or at
least above the table of books, but that would require speaking to a higher
up at Bookshare. The other option is of course to write to Freedom
Scientific with your suggestions to fix it. It would be ideal to base the
bookmarks on the text you are attempting to bookmark, but that would require
a lot more work from FS. An easier solution is, since they're already based
on the line number counting from the top, is to give the user the option to
base it from the line number counting from the bottom. It seems this would
be an easier solution, but I don't know if they would consider it.
An ideal world...
Tiff