[bksvol-discuss] Re: Special Collections

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 12:12:35 -0700

Hi, Miss Sue, no, if an author gets a Nobel Prize, it's for the body of
his/her work. I think if the author has done something which makes a
real impression on the reading public, then the author gets the prize.
For instance, William Faulkner won the prize because of his way of
telling a story and his creation of a mythical history which told the
truth as he saw it about where he comes from. He made up Yoknapatawpha
County in Mississippi and peopled it with citizens and he told their
stories. I just finished listening to a BBC dramatization of the major
series of books John Galsworthy was famous for writing, The Forsyte
saga. Galsworthy was a predecessor of Faulkner, winning the Nobel Prize
for literature. He's well-known for a sequence of novels tracing the
lives and times of an upper-middle-class family from the Victorian era
to contemporary times (contemporary times for him was the 1930's). I
suppose the Forsytes represented the points of view of a certain class
of people during the time he was writing about. Regards, Kim Friedman.