[bksvol-discuss] Re: Galsworthy: was Re: Special Collections

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:30:56 -0700 (PDT)

I didn't read The Forsyt Saga but I certainly enjoyed the Masterpiece Theater
production of it. After reading the criteria on which his Nobel Prize was based
I'd love to read more of his books.  I checked the collection and 89 of his
works are in, but not all of them are novels, and some are different volumes of
the Forsyte Saga.
I did some  more checking on Nobel.org and found that Galsworthy's work on the
Forsyte Saga was interrupted for 15 years By WWI Then he continued it.
The Forsyte Saga was continued y the three volumes of A
Modern Comedy, The White Monkey (1924), The Silver Spoon (1926), Swan Song
(1928), and its two interludes A Silent Wooing and Passersby (1927).Swan Song
is in the collection, submitted by Carrie. Carrie, was it enjoyable reading?
Should the others be added? I love books that satirize the nobility or,  in the
case of Galsworthy  andJane Austen the upper middle class or the Gentry, or in
the case of the Sinclair Lewis book Middle America
If anyone wants to scan any of the missing Galsworthy books I'd b e happy to
proof them
Cindy

>________________________________

Miss Sue, no, if an author gets a Nobel Prize, it's for the body of his/her
work. I think if the author has done something which makes a real impression on
the reading public, then the author gets the prize. For instance, William
Faulkner won the prize because of his way of telling a story and his creation
of
a mythical history which told the truth as he saw it about where he comes from.
He made up Yoknapatawpha County in Mississippi and peopled it with citizens and
he told their stories. I just finished listening to a BBC dramatization of the
major series of books John Galsworthy was famous for writing, The Forsyte saga.
Galsworthy was a predecessor of Faulkner, winning the Nobel Prize for
literature. He's well-known for a sequence of novels tracing the lives and
times
of an upper-middle-class family from the Victorian era to contemporary times
(contemporary times for him was the 1930's). I suppose the
Forsytes represented the points of view of a certain class of people during
the time he was writing about. Regards, Kim Friedman.
AM
>To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Special Collections
>

>I thought that one book by an author or authors was singled out.  In
other words, Sinclair Lewis probably won the prize for a certain book, not all
of his books.

>Sue S.

the books the winner wrote, but only one if there was one ssingled out when the
award was announced

  collection. I do know it would be at least THOUSANDS of books.

  read this year at: www.michiganrxtech.com/books.html

>No virus found in this
message.
Database: 2114/4863 - Release Date: 03/10/12