[bksvol-discuss] Re: Speaking of downloads

  • From: "Rick Roderick" <rickrod@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 09:33:04 -0400

I'm not worried.  The BRF format really compacts books.

A braille volume is approximately 200k. A book is in several volumes. A typical novel by Web-braille is two or three volumes. A Tom Wolfe novel may be much longer. The braille Bibles I have had have been 18 volumes.

The old American Vest Pocket Dictionary was in seven volumes. The 1959 World Book Encyclopedia was in 145 volumes.

That will give some of you who are sighted some idea of the size of braille. Since it is an ASCII system, rather than a graphical system, and because contractions and short-form words are used, it has a relatively small footprint. Even if that old World Book were put in electronic braille, it would only take up 29 megabytes or so.