[bksvol-discuss] Sighted Proofreaders Needed

  • From: Kelly Pierce <kellytalk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 21:08:55 -0500

Hello everyone,

I need a sighted proofreader or proofreaders who are interested in
cooking or natural health.  If someone is a meat lover, there is a
unique cookbook that needs proofing.  Also, I have a book with tables
that need fixing and another where the footnote numbers need to be
entered.
 Two of the three books need to be obtained through a library.
Someone with interlibrary loan access would be ideal. I have
identified and described the books below.

I am a scanner and welcome connection with folks who are interested in
alternative health, traditional diets, ancestral living, herbs and
herbalism, and anabolic fitness. If writing to me privately, please
use the address KKellyP@xxxxxxxxx

Kelly

In “The Lost Language of Plants: The Ecological Importance of Plant
Medicines for Life on Earth” Stephen Buhner offers to perspectives.
The first looks at technological medicine, and especially the dangers
to the environment posed by pharmaceuticals and other synthetic
substances that people use in connection with health care and personal
body care. He then provides Extensive documentation of how plants
communicate their healing qualities to people and other animals.
Western culture has obliterated most people's capacity to perceive
these messages, but this book also contains valuable information on
how we can restore our faculties of perception. When I was growing up,
people were ridiculed for “talking” to the plants in their home and
around them. Now we know through this sensitive exploration that this
communication is real and has profound health benefits. I scanned this
book from the library.  It is plain text.  The only problem is that
the footnote numbers in small type in the text did not scan and have
to be typed in manually.

A unique book about a trendy subject is “Tender Grassfed Meat:
Traditional Ways to Cook Healthy Meat” by Stanley Fishman.  Grassfed
meat is leaner, denser, less watery, and far more flavorful than other
meat. It must be cooked differently. All the recipes in this book have
been specifically created and designed for grassfed meat, with step-by-step
directions that are detailed and easy to use. People pop loads of fish
oil capsules for the great benefits of omega 3 fatty acids, but grass
fed meat also has lots of Omega 3 fatty acids too. Grass fed meat
along with grass fed butter, milk and cheese also have something
called conjugated linoleic acid that has significant health benefits.
One recent study was featured as the first story on ABC World News a
few years ago.  CLA has significant anti-cancer properties and it
improves body composition by reducing body fat while increasing lean
body mass.  Commercial, corn fed meat does not have these properties.
I have a copy of this book and can send it to a volunteer.

In “The Healing Power of Minerals, Special Nutrients, and Trace
Elements” author Paul Bergner shows us how to enjoy robust health
without relying on a low fat diet or bottles full of nutritional
supplements. We don’t even have to give up meat. From calcium and iron
to the essential fatty acids and beyond, minerals are the hard-working
dietary necessities that supply the body’s building materials, affect
digestion, and perform other tasks crucial to health and fitness.
Modern farming and food processing strip our food of these valuable
nutrients. But respected nutritionist, herbalist, and researcher Paul
Bergner explains, item by item, how to restore 22 important minerals
and other nutrients to a diet. Readers learn how much of each is
needed and which foods and herbs can provide it. Each nutrient has its
own chapter. At the end of each chapter is a basic table listing foods
and herbs with the specific nutrient value relating to the chapter.
At the end of the book, there is a complicated table listing all the
nutrients with various values.  This is the only health book on
minerals and will be an important addition to the Bookshare
collection.  It was scanned from a library copy and a proofreader will
need to obtain another copy through inter-library loan to fix the
tables from the scanned file.