[bksvol-discuss] Re: Research task for a motivated volunteer

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 00:43:58 -0500

Dear Booksharian Friends,

Needing a break from proofing an index, I read the thread about the 100 BBC books at just the right time. I've wandered the collection enough to have predicted that Bookshare was on the case for most of the list. I copied the list and then sorted the books with the following results

Books I've read, counting Series as LOTR, Narnia etc as one book

Books I've read 57
Books I'm eager to read 20
Books to consider when I know more about them 19
Books I don't want to read/or finish 4

Though I read some of these books for school in grades 7-12, I proficiencied English in college and had other majors, so read the rest of them for the love of the authors and language.

The four I don't want to read are Moby Dick,. I love the writing style, but can't cope with the brutality and suffering of men and whale. Vanity Fair, I liked neither the style nor the sheer nastiness of Becky Sharp, the central character. The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, noodled, bored and befuddled my brain and I lived the "On the Road," scene so to speak, in college, and read so many bios of Jack Kerouac and many people of his ilk, I didn't want to slog through what seemed to be self aggrandizement of living loose, high and self satisfied.

I'm most lacking in my reading of non Anglo authors. I'm listing the 19 books I'd like to know more about in case anyone who has read them would like to share their thoughts about them on or off list.

And thank you Scott, Lori, Mayrie, Roger, Kim, Mike, Dan, Jamie, Shelley, Judy, and anyone who has commented about this list. I can't get enough of book talk. Shelley, I especially enjoyed your naming the books you've read along with your comments about them.

1 9 His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

2 17 Birdsong - Sebastian Faulk

3 38 Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres

4 43 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
5 44 A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving
6 45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins

7 56 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
8 60 Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

9 63 The Secret History - Donna Tartt

10 69 Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie

11 74 Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson

12 77 Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
13 78 Germinal - Emile Zola
14 80 Possession - AS Byatt

15 82 Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

16 84 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro

17 86 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry

18 93 The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks

19 95 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

Scott, your message to Dan isn't the first time I've noticed your knack for word play. Thanks for joining in the spirit of this topic.

On my worst days I love reading. Discussions like this one energize and intensify my craving to read more!

Always with love,

Lissi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mayrie Renee" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>