[bksvol-discuss] Re: Removing extra pragraphs marks

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 23:02:34 -0500

Aha! Great question, Netta! It does make sense. To answer it, we need someone who has your same screen reader software and is using the same word processing software you are using to chime in.

The reason we need someone with a screen reader like yours to fully understand what your software and hardware is telling you is as follows.

Because of the quirks leading way back to the dinosaur ages of computer programming and teletype machines and their physical constraints, the "new line" marks may be what are also called "line feeds" or they may be "soft line marks."

Line feeds were computer codes that told a computer printer "you've reached the right hand margin of the paper! Roll the paper up one line and start printing again at the left hand margin of the paper." Line feeds are sometimes called carriage returns because they caused the part of a printer or a typewriter called a carriage to drop on line down and return the printhead to the far left of the paper.

If you program is recognizing line feeds as "new line" marks, then they are most likely errors and are chopping up those sentences incorrectly. Those should be deleted.

If, however, the new line designation is what are called soft line marks, then they should be left in place. Those are very similar to soft page breaks. They are just are cues to the software that if prints this page out for a sighted reader to go ahead and break the line at that point to fit it on a physical sheet of paper.

I hope that's not even more confusing! smile. A lot of this stuff really is confusing because there are codes hidden in the software packages that mean something based on jargon that harks back to technology that doesn't exist any more it's so antiquated. So the jargon and names of those codes don't make much sense unless you're a old enough to have worked with that equipment back when it was new instead of museum pieces, or have read about it somewhere.

Judy s.

On 10/12/2012 10:41 PM, Dornetta wrote:
Judy;
Your explanation help me to understand. Now let's see if this question can
get answered. When I do the show all, sometimes I get paragraph marks and
sometimes I get new line at the end of the sentence. Is it "safe" to assume
that the new lines are correct (meaning that no extra paragraph marks are
present) and where the paragraph marks are followed by another paragraph
mark, that need to be deleted (the paragraph mark that is).
I am asking because the new line and the paragraph mark thing has always
confused me, even before I started proofing.
Does this makes sense?
Netta