[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT Sign Language

  • From: "siss52" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 18:47:00 -0500

Hi Laura,

I think Barbara is thinking of finger spelling when she asks if they will be
signing in your hand.  It has been my experience that you put your hands on
the hands of the person who is signing to you, and follow their signs in
that way.  Some sighted deaf, and some blind people as well, are sensitive
about touching and being touched.  I do know it is something one has to work
at every day in order to get really good at reading signs and signing back.
Are you studying ASL, or signing in English, meaning that the signs are
different.  I am no expert, but I am deaf-blind and have had some experience
with people signing in English.  I know nothing about ASL, except that there
is a difference.

Regards,

Sue S.