[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Question for any guide dog owners

  • From: Laura Ann Grymes <agapepetsitting@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 02:53:56 -0500

It is illegal for the cab driver to refuse service to a blind person with a service dog.
The protical would be to get his license number or cab number if someone sighted were around and report him to his cab company or
call the police

But unfortunately At 10:09 PM 10/14/2006, you wrote: they can drive off and you can't see to get the info unless someone sighted is around.
I had this happen to me in San Fransisco after getting my 2nd guide dog.

Another option is for that cab driver to arrange for another cab driver to come get the blind person with a guide if they are truly afraid and allergic...

and Guide Dogs can go anywhere the public can go.
churches, schools, state and federal buildings, banks, grocery stores, restaurants, hospitals, amusement parks, transpertation like buses, cabs, trains, planes, rental cars,
so on.

Hope this helps
Laura Ann

Hello all,

I have a question for anyone who owns a guide dog. I don't own a dog myself, so am not aware of the pereimeters of the law.

A little background info first. Where I live we have a service here that allows for the reservation of a van ride to all people with a legitimate disability. With our service, when the van can't make it, or is running behind in schedule, the company sends out a dispatch to a partnered cab service. From there, the cab will be dispatched to pick up the person.

Well, a friend of mine who owns a cutey black lab was waiting for her ride. A cab drove up and immediately began to make a fuss. He claimed that he was fearful of dogs, and so on and so on. My friend is usually the most amiable of people, but this day she got very upset by this driver's attitude. He eventually took her to where she needed to go, but continued to make a big deal out of it.

I would like to know, for my own personal information, about the extent of the law when concerning where guide dogs can go. For example, with this cab situation, could the driver have legally refused my friend? Is there any situations where guide dogs can't be admitted?

Again, I don't own a guide dog, but I would really like to know. Most of my friends that have dogs and have situations like this happen to them choose to shrug it off and forget about it. They claim it's not worth the hassle to pursue the matter.

Thanks for anyone who can respond to my question.

Natalie B.