[bksvol-discuss] Re: OCR Software

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 21:10:26 -0700

Mary Anne:

I don't remember if I contacted Chris Hofstader privately or on list,
but what I said to him I'll repeat to u--I always save every few pages
& I save it in a couple different formats, e.g., opd, rtf, even tif in
case I need to go back--that way I won't have to rescan.

1 thing u can also do is when o p crashes, go back into it & see if it
presents u w/a "recovered files found" dialog. Lastly, u might wanna
consider disabling stuff like training, spellcheck-as-u-go--anything
that will take up a lot of memory during scans.

On 6/5/08, Mary Anne Lynskey <yeksnyl1953am@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everybody.  I've been using Omnipage but wanted to try another program
> because occasionally Omnipge will crash and I will lose my scan.  However,
> Omnipage has a very excellent OCR engine and I have very few if any scanning
> errors.
>
> I've heard some talk about Vinereader.  I tried the demmo.  It has some nice
> features but I was sorely disappointed by its poor OCR.  It was far below
> Omnipage in that regard.  Can anyone comment on experiences with Finereader
> or am I just setting up something incorrectly?  So far I haven't seen
> anything that comes anywhere close to Omnipage in terms of its OCR accuracy.
>
> --
> Mary Anne Lynskey

Jackie McBride
& Check out my homepage at: