[bksvol-discuss] OCR Software

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:12:33 -0500

Hi everyone!

Recently, one or two people have been asking about OCR packages that aren't as expensive as Kurzweil or OpenBook. I'm an OpenBook user, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with anything else. I tried OmniPage maybe ten years ago. Although it worked with Window-Eyes, it didn't work the way I work, so I couldn't figure out how to use it. I think I didn't give it a chance either. Just because I didn't find it intuitive due to my not being able to get out of the OpenBook frame-of-reference, I don't mean that it's bad software.

I did a search and found some possibilities. I suggest you try any demos to see how they work for you.

I'll give a description of the page that is found on each web site as well as the link to the page I am on.

OCR Guide
 compares desktop and
server OCR solutions
 from several major engines, including
ABBYY FineReader 9.0 Professional (Download)
ABBYY
,
IRIS
,
Nuance
 (formerly Scan Soft) and more.
Our imaging solutions website,
ScanStore.com
offers demo downloads and online ordering for all these applications with your
ScanStore User Account
.  We encourage you to try the Simple
OCR
freeware and see how it works with your documents. If you need better features and accuracy for more demanding applications, please come back and find your solution
at
ScanStore

http://www.simpleocr.com/

SimpleOCR 3.0 (formerly WOCAR) by ScanStore

This page lists the features of this package:

http://www.spyfind.com/ocr.html

Free OCR software

Asked by
dbrunton
 in Miscellaneous Software
Tags:
ocr
,
software
,
free
Is there any free OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software out there for download
and if so where?
By free, I mean, there are no restrictions on the length of use on the software,
because I have run across some time limited stuff.

I didn't click on any of the expert's answers, so I don't know what there answers were.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Q_20405038.html

GOCR

GOCR logo
open-source character recognition
GOCR is an OCR
(Optical Character Recognition) program, developed under the GNU Public License.
It converts scanned images of text back to text files.

http://jocr.sourceforge.net/

This page gives a description of the free packages.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/ocr.shtml

Ocr Free Download

FreeOCR
 2.6
FreeOCR is a totaly free Scan and OCR program that ocr gratis.
Download now

http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/ocr.html

I am not sure how much software on this page would meet your needs, because I didn't wade through all of it. There is something, I think amongst the packages that you can use to convert images to PDF documents.

http://downloads.zdnet.com/search.aspx?kw=OCR

OmniPage 17 Imaging Software

$149.99

http://www.nuance.com/imaging/omnipage/omnipage-standard.asp

If you are interested in one of the well-known commercial packages such as FineReader or OmniPage, you might want to look for it on sale from sites like www.nextag.com, www.shopping.com, www.pricegrabber.com, and the like. There is also Newegg, Amazon and eBay.

Finally, here is an article about scanning tips that could be useful. I only read the first paragraph.

OCR Tips for Better Results - Using OCR Software

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/ocr/a/ocr.htm

I hope I have helped anyone who is looking for a free or relatively low-cost solution to find something that works wel for your needs. Please let us know what works for you. It would be useful information for the list.

Debby

--
mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>