[bksvol-discuss] Re: K1000 and editing .rtf files question

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 22:23:30 -0700

Hi Caitlyn,

        Before you release the book, you could try this.

        Rename the file that you have been working with just slightly.  For
instance, if the name of the file is now Royal Pain In The Butt.rtf, rename
it to Royal Pain In The Butt1.rtf.  Now, extract the file from the zip file
again.  If you have changed the conversion settings so that K1000 will not
split long pages, you can now see how many pages the file originally had, in
case the number of pages was inflated by Kurzweil upon your opening it
originally there.  That might help you to know which pages to delete and
which to keep.

        I tell you to rename your original file because if you don't rename
it slightly, when you extract the file from the zip file, unless you extract
it to a different folder, it will want to over write the file already there
with the same name.  You don't want to do that, as the file that will be
overwritten will be the one containing any changes you have made to the
book.  That would be catastrophic., or at least it would feel that way to
me.

        Something that might have happened, if you discover that both files
have all of these blank pages, telling you that Kurzweil is not the culprit
for having added extra pages, is that the scanner may have had his
recognition settings to recognize two pages per scan but only had one page
on the scanner.  That can result in blank pages between all pages with print
on them.   None of this will help you get rid of the blank pages if they
were there in the file originally uploaded to Bookshare as a submission, but
it may all help you to know why this annoyance occurred.

If you're very lucky, the original file won't have all of those blank pages
and you can just delete from your file that you've been working on the pages
that shouldn't be there.  It is tedious, but would allow you to know for
certain which blank pages to delete.

Happy hunting!

Mayrie