[bksvol-discuss] Re: ISBNnumbers

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:46:54 -0400

Each book now has two ISBNs, a thirteen digit ISBN and a ten digit ISBN. The thirteen digit ISBN will begin with 978 and identifies the product as a book. Other products may have a thirteen digit code too, but the initial three digits will be something else. As books continue to be published and the available ISBNs deplete that first three digits will change. I think it will be 977, but I am not sure and that should be some time in the future anyway. The ten digit ISBN is something of a holdover. There were just too many books published before the thirteen digit ISBN was initiated to scrap them. The first nine digits of the ten digit ISBN will be identical to the fourth through twelfth digits of the thirteen digit ISBN. The last digit will most likely differ, but not necessarily. The reason it will differ is because it depends on a mathematical calculation performed on all the preceding digits. The 978 in the thirteen digit ISBN is included in the formula and so that final digit is most likely to be different. Besides simply counting the digits the different ISBNs are usually identified as ISBN 13 or ISBN 10 followed by a colon and then the ISBN. When doing an ISBN search it is a good idea to not include that label. Either the ten or digit or the thirteen digit ISBN will ordinarily work just as well to search for on any site, but do not mix them. Search for one or the other. And, like I said, I have found that even though it may vary from site to site it is generally better to do an ISBN search without the hyphens. If I am searching for a specific book I always search for the ISBN if I can because that returns the exact edition I am looking for. If I don't have an ISBN or if the book is so old that it doesn't have an ISBN then that is another matter.

On 3/19/2012 9:17 PM, Cindy wrote:

Oh o.k. But soometimes I've sen the ISBN number, start without the 13- or whatever and just the other numbers.
Anyway, I'm fglad you gave me the info.
Cindy
Join us in celebrating our 10^th Anniversary! <http://blog.bookshare.org/2012/03/11/join-bookshares-worldwide-10th-anniversary-celebration/>
<http://blog.bookshare.org/2012/03/11/join-bookshares-worldwide-10th-anniversary-celebration/>