[bksvol-discuss] Re: Ellipses

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:54:06 -0700

In the most recent couple of books I have scanned, there was indeed a fourth period at the end of a sentence. Also, if it is in the middle of a sentence, there is a space before it, so far as I remember. But the last book I scanned, the editor was quoting some handwritten material which he said was partly illegible, and he put dots in the middle of a sentence without spaces before or after it, but there were more than three - one for each illegible character I believe - so that may not count as an ellipsis.
Usually, though, I seem to recall the three periods being surrounded by spaces if they occur in the middle of a sentence.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tiffany H. Jessen" <tjessen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>