[bksvol-discuss] Re: Ellipses

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 12:32:04 -0400

Hi all,

I cannot find my Elements in Style (Funk and White - if memory serves) but my
MLA Style Sheet  "For ellipsis within a sentence, use three . . . spaced
periods, being careful to leave a space before the first period.  Q uotations
that are complete sentences should end with periods even though matter that was
within the original may have been omitted.  To indicate ellipsis after the
conclusion of a complete sentence, use three spaced periods in addition to the
sentence period. . . . "  There is more but if anyone wants it but it regards
poetic lines and paragraphs etcetera and I am omitting it here.  If you need it
give a holler and and I'll copy it as the Style Sheet may not be readily
available - I haven't looked in years. This should still be the standard and
most other style sheets I have seen hide the relevant material in the midst of
lots of unnecessary wordage.

 I hope this solves the problems.

Amy
Still looking for her majesty's cats.