[bksvol-discuss] Re: Chapter numbers

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 17:44:32 -0500

Hi Ellen and everyone!

I just remembered, after setting this message aside for a while to check on a book I had submitted, because I remembered that it had just numbers for chapters as Ellen's book does.

This was towards the beginning of my volunteer days, so I wasn't aware that I should put the word "Chapter" in front of the number "1", "2", etc.

I downloaded this book I am referring to: "In the Night Season" by Siegfried Stander and Christiaan Barnard,, because it was the first one I thought of that named chapters this way, because I suddenly became concerned about what the tool might have done to the numeric chapter titles after reading Ellen's question.

Everything looks okay to me. Here is what comes immediately after the prologue including the first sentence of chapter 1.

21
22
PART ONE
And a time to die
23
1
The houses on this street were identical, small and square like drawings by a child with a passion for order, each with a door set in the center and equidistant windows
on either side.

I'm pleased with the results, though, since the inclusion of the word "chapter" making it Chapter 1 seems helpful to anyone, as several people suggested, I'll remember to include it in the future.

Debby

At 07:33 PM 3/9/2011, Ellen Bartlett wrote
Hi group,

I have a bit of a problem. I'm scanning a book that has chapter numbers, just digits and no words. Should I put the word Chapter before these numbers? I remember being told once that numbers left by themselves on a line get deleted by the final proofing tool. What should I do?

Thanks,
Ellen

--
                                                mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>