[bksvol-discuss] Re: Chapter numbers.

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 18:38:18 -0500

Cindy,

I remember the thread you are refering to.  From what I recall, there were
two reasons given for inserting a hard return between the word chapter and
the chapter number.

The first reason I think that was given was that someone believed that the
Stripper would ignore a header if the page did not contain a blank line
between the heading and the following paragraph.  Since adding the hard
return between the word chapter and the chapter number breaks the chapter
heading into two separate paragraphs, they believed the Stripper would
ignore the chapter heading.  I've never seen any evidence that this is true,
though, or that a blank line is required between headers/footers and the
rest of the text on the page.  The volunteering instructions do not specify
that there must be a blank line between a header/footer and the closest
paragraph of text, only that a header must be the first paragraph on the
page and that the footer must be the last.  I do recommend having a blank
line between the text and header/footer, however.  It's possible that the
Stripper does require this to recognize a header/footer after all, but I'd
recommend it even if it doesn't if for no other reason than it makes the
page numbers easier to spot visuallly in the HTML files unpacked with the
DAISY books.  Don't forget that while blindness/visual impairments are the
most common reason for a print disability, Bookshare intends for books to be
usable by people with other print disabilities.   As I said, I've never seen
any evidence that the person, or persons, knew what they were talking about,
and I don't recommend using this approach for protecting chapter headings.

The second reason I remember being given was that volunteers had stated that
they add the hard return between the word chapter and the chapter number to
insure that if the Stripper strips the first line, then only the word
chapter would be stripped and members would still have the chapter number
for a reference.  This sounds like it would probably work, but it's not the
approach I would recommend using.

Jake's website has a tip titled "Protecting Chapter titles and other
headings" which gives a brief explanation of the two best approaches to use
for protecting chapter headings.  As we learned recently regarding a problem
with the book "My Utmost For His Highest", it needs to include approaches
for handling text at the bottom of pages which shouldn't be stripped, or we
need a second tip for protecting text at the bottom of pages.  It should
also probably include some examples as well as some information about what
not to do, but it does list the two best approaches for protecting chapter
headings.

HTH

Gerald