[bksvol-discuss] Re: Categories again

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 20:16:52 -0800

Hi, I'm sorry but I didn't see a signature to your message. I suppose I am
most likely in agreement with you because if the alternate history story
involves a technical reason for the split or sidetrack in history, I'd tend
to regard it as sf. If there is a magic-works universe, I'd tend to think of
it as fantasy. I suppose you'd class the Lord Darcy stories by Randall
Garrett as mystery fantasy stories? Have you read any of Robert Silverberg's
Roma Eterna series? I think he posits a Roman Empire that never fell.  I
tend to like the alternate history story as I like to see what the author
makes of the society which results from the change of a historical event. Be
that said, I see a lot of stuff by Harry Turtledove involving alternate
societies wherein the South won the Civil War, or aliens come down to try
and conquer Earth during World War II.  I think he is really plumbing a lot
of alternate realities to write alternate war stories. I really don't wish
to read a surfeit of this even though the writing might be good. I haven't
read much military fiction or techno-thrillers, although I might read some
when I feel up to it. Regards, Kim Friedman.