[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookmarking

  • From: Marilyn Beasley <mbeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:03:56 -0400

Hi, Roger.

Congrats on all your progress with the computer, that's really very good.

Regarding leaving a bookmark, I'm sure there's probably a "computer" way of doing it, but I just do it like this. When I've been working and I decide I'm done, I type three ampersands, like this: &&&. You can use percentage signs, your own name, anything that is unlikely to actually show up in the book. Then I save my document and close down
the word processing software.

When I'm ready to start again, I open up the document I want to work on, and "Search" for &&& and it goes directly to where I was -- mid-sentence, at the start of a paragraph or
page, just wherever I was when I typed them before I saved the document.

Can you try that?

Hugs,
Marilyn

On Jul 20, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx wrote:

First, let me tell you about some progress I have made in ameliorating my technological illiteracy. As I mentioned earlier everything I know about using a computer I have learned by sitting down at the keyboard and teaching myself. Okay, there has been a little on line help like I received here. As I also mentioned earlier, before I tried out Bookshare.org I had never downloaded or uploaded a document. The only downloads I had ever done were some software and some software updates. Well, I have for some time now been reading some Project Gutenberg books on line because I had no idea how to download them. However, now that I have learned how to download Bookshare books I wondered if my newfound knowledge would help me at Project Gutenberg. Well, I just went there and downloaded a book. It was surprisingly easy and I felt like I should have been doing that a long time ago.

Now I have a question. After having had some trouble submitting the first book I validated I am now working on another one. I , of course, cannot finish the whole thing in one sitting, but every time I go to my documents on my computer and open the book I find myself at the beginning. I have been coping by noting the page I am on when I quit and arrowing up until I get to the beginning and then type in the number of the page I left off on. That number will, of course, be deleted before I submit it. The problem is that when I open up the book again and am reminded of the page number it is a bit time consuming to find it again. I just arrow down until I come across it by stopping and checking now and then and, Of course, arrowing up again if I overshoot. Do you guys have any suggestions about how to more efficiently mark one's place?