[bksvol-discuss] Re: Are there any standardized descriptions of symbols used in electronic circuit diagrams?

  • From: Susan Fowle <fowlets@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 22:03:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Judy,

I'm a new proofer (have done 3 books). I told my husband about your question,
and am sending his answer.

Sue Fowle
----
(from Tom):
Hello Judy,

I am Tom Fowle, a Bookshare reader member, and a recently retired totally
blind electronics engineer.

Unfortunately I know of no standard descriptions for electronic circuit
symbols.
However I may be able to help you with the book as follows:

Background:
I have been working with text based electronic circuit descriptions for most
of my life.  In my experience most blind electronics folks originally have
someone make tactile drawings of the standard symbols so they can be
learned.

Of course this is not possible for a Bookshare text book.

These tactile examples and any text descriptions are needed only at the
beginning level of an intro to electronics, as in the book under question.

Beyond basic symbol descriptions, there are logical ways to describe
complete diagrams.

I would be happy to help you with both levels of description, as will my
wife Sue Fowle, who is sighted and also an electronics technician.

What I suggest is that you send me, or both of us, examples of your
descriptions of both symbols and any diagrams needed.

We can both go over them and help refine them as necessary.

Note: Sue is also a Bookshare volunteer proof reader.

She has enjoyed the descriptions in Amazon of "There Are No electrons" and
plans to
get a print copy for herself just for fun, and if you want, to help you
with descriptions.

If you would like to read technical materials including text descriptions
written for blind electronics amateurs and professionals, there are many in
a journal published for years by my Colleague Bill Gerrey at the
Smith-Kettlewell Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center.

Try:
http://www.ski.org/Rehab/sktf/index.html

You might start with the series called:
"From Paper to Project"

Although this will contain much more material than you want, it may give you
some ideas about description in text.

Let us know if and how we can help you with this proofing task. It sounds
like a fun book.

Let's plan to take our communications off-list, if that's okay with you.

Tom Fowle
wa6ivgtf@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sue Fowle
fowlets@xxxxxxxxxxx