[bksvol-discuss] Re: A perhaps inappropriate request

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 14:02:27 -0500

Yes,  that is very likely.  If the computer is slow,  or it has little
memory,  both the physical scanning and the recognition can take
excruciatingly long.
Another factor can be the interface:  USB 1.1 will always yield a
stuttering start-stop-continuously scan in dynamic thresholding or
grayscale,  no matter the speed of the machine.  If the machine is
equipped with USB 2.0, and the scanner has the same interface,  data from
the scanner to the computer will flow 10 times faster,  and on a
reasonably fast machine even a grayscale scan will take place in one fell
swoop,  without intermittent pauses.

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

"Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
05/07/2004 01:37 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: A perhaps inappropriate request

The biggest difference in scanning time may just be the speed of the
scanner, and the computer doing the recognition.  I totally understand
that
small fat paperbacks are difficult.  I gave up on a couple, and they
weren't
even library books, but were my mom's.

I would love to hear suggestions for historical fiction with enough detail
you can actually learn from as well as be entertained with.  The problem
is
that I am picky about book content.  I am not interested in reading
erotica,
or every gory detail of a batle.  I am much happier with books that just
tell you things like that happen and leave out those details.  The details
like would be about daily life.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
curious entity at earthlink dot net