[bitlug] Last meet minutes

  • From: Peeyush Prasad <peeyush@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bitlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:39:44 +0530 (IST)

Ok, coming to what exactly happenned in our first talk....
1. We started by around 11:15, as the Civil guys were having a class of
their own.
2. Aswath gave a short but sweet intro
3. I introduced the group's objectives and the current series... Also the
topic of the day... took about 10 mins
4. TC started of with an introduction to the C API. This lasted for about
an hour and some. He managed to introduce the concepts of
filesystems,system calls,compilers,glibc,types of i/o, streams
5. He also introduced some initial C calls like fopen,fread etc.
6. I managed to boot him out with some difficulty, and started off with
the basic funda of syscalls, the 'why' basically.
7. I must have lasted for some 15 mins, when some guys from 'tronics said
that all this was above their heads. That's when I decided to immidiately
stop,and address the larger issues first.
8. We had a lively discussion on how to proceed further on this,when to
meet, etc.This is what we decided:
 * We meet next on Sat,20th Mar, and then on every sat
 * We have a sandbox session of 1/2 hr where some of the college guys
could speak on any topic they found interesting.Shailesh, from 8th sem
comp sci volunteered for the first sandbox session on databases
 * We appointed some representatives from college. They are :
Divya(6sem),Santhosh(6sem),____,____ .(Sorry, we left our data floppy
there :_( )TC, can you fill the blanks?? Their mail ids will be circulated,
and I'll make sure they are on this list.

 In short, we made our case successfully from an emotional point of view,
now we need some solid action.Self and TC will mostly continue on the same
topics, although we may put in some ext2/3 stuff and some other kickbutt
stuff.

-- P