[birdky] Re: winter passerines and black vultures

  • From: Paul Hager <bereahager@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: itsacharliebrownchristmas@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:07:09 -0500

I have had as many as 8 juncos at oien time, but the last few days the number has been off. Goldfinches and WT Sparrows normal -- house finches variable from one every other day to four a five for three or four days. Paul Hager Berea, Madison Co.

On Jan 22, 2008, at 8:45 PM, Ian Stewart wrote:

I have several feeders up in north Lexington and have only had a single junco this year, though plenty of goldfinches and house finches. Not as many white throated sparrows as usual, and not a single white crowned sparrow (I usually see 5 or so around). Not many WT sparrows on the UK campus either, the numbers do seem low this year. Hopefully the cold weather will push some new birds south :)

Last night while walking at the UK arboretum I had 3 black vultures fly low overhead. This is the first stime I have seen black vultures around Lexington.

Ian Stewart

Ian Stewart
Department of Biology
University of Kentucky
Lexington
KY 40506-0225
(859) 323-9499

Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge with star power. Play now!