[birdky] re critter proof feeders

  • From: Linda Langley <lindaolangley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 18:09:43 -0800 (PST)

I have tried the bird food infused with hot chilies and the first squirrel who
tried it went home and said "Hot dang, Ethel, get the kids and let's go, we're
having Mexican tonight". They loved it.

I tried the feeder where the weight of the bird did not close the feeding port,
but the weight of a squirrel closed it. That worked until they began working in
tandem with one holding it open while the other feasted.

They are such clever little things.

My favorite feeders were on my deck and were open with screen wire bottoms. My
cat loved to be on the deck and she never even threatened a bird, nor were they
deterred by her presence, but she was my best defense against squirrels. They
did not tempt her. Of course, at night when she was inside, the raccoons and
flying squirrels dined royally.

I live on a very large farm now and hesitate to feed the birds, because of
attracting mice, rats, etc., too close to my house and in return, quite large
snakes. Been there already. Oooooh.

I always read your posts and enjoy them.

LL.

I must try the baffles.