[birdky] Re: odd feeder problem

  • From: Tom Hickcox <cometkazie1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 13:28:08 -0500

Put a feeder up on the opposite side of the house.

Tom Hickcox
Danville/Boyle

On 2/8/2015 13:10, Redacted sender "tingsgrove@xxxxxxx" for DMARC wrote:
/Mockingbirds sadly are notorious for this and will protect feeders as well as bushes that still have natural growing seeds, or fruit. It is quite a sad thing as they will actually attack other birds, including some hawks as well as dogs to defend what they claim as their own. I have no thoughts as to how to make it move down the lane, other than make your presence known enough in warmer days, that it may give up. /
/(Mary Howell Cromer/
/Oldham County/
/LaGrange, KY)/
In a message dated 2/8/2015 12:21:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, estiles74@xxxxxxxxx writes:

    In the last couple of days, an aggressively territorial Northern
    Mockingbird has set up shop in my yard and spends most of its day
    chasing other birds from  my feeders. It will sit on one feeder
    until it sees birds on the other, then will chase those away, and
    so forth. It seems particularly aggrieved by Mourning Doves on the
    ground below the feeders.

    On the up side, my seed consumption has slowed and the House
    Sparrows are far less frequent. On the down side, so is everything
    else...

    In need of a timely intervention by one of our local Coopers Hawks.

    Andrew Melnykovych
    Louisville