[birdky] eastern meadowlark

  • From: Roberta Burnes <rburnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:14:13 -0500

Both last year and this year, we've had an eastern meadowlark spend the
entire winter in one of two tiny prairie plots behind the Visitor Center at
The Arboretum in Lexington.  It doesn't seem to be interested in the bird
feeders but spends the entire time on the ground, hiding amongst the native
grasses and eating whatever it can find on the ground.  In the afternoons it
often ventures out into the open lawn and basks in the sunlight.  The bright
yellow breast is so cheerful in the otherwise drab winter landscape.  It's
quite tame, too . maybe tame isn't the right word; it simply hides in plain
sight until you are right next to it, and then it flies to the next prairie
plot and waits for you to leave.

Do meadowlarks typically stay around all winter in Kentucky?  We see them in
all of our prairie plots from time to time, but these little patches near
the Visitor Center are guaranteed places to see this one.

Roberta Burnes
Fayette County