[birdky] Weekend observations

  • From: "Ben Yandell" <by@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 08:55:31 -0400

Mary and I made a quick run west.  Notable observations:

May 6 late afternoon/evening

Sinclair unit of Peabody WMA
* white-rumped sandpiper at lower ash basin; only other shorebirds were
lesser yellowlegs, least and spotted sandpipers, and killdeer
* dickcissels
* Bell's vireo
* lots of Henslow's sparrows
* whip-poor-wills starting up about 8 p.m.

May 7

Land Between the Lakes
* red-necked grebe is still present; seen near the beach area on the western
side of Ky. Lake within a few feet of the dam
* also, bumped into a birder with a Saturday report of a western grebe along
the eastern side of the lake above the dam.  We could not locate the bird on
Sunday, but the powerboat activity in the area may have sent it into hiding.
* warblers.  Promising start in the light rain, but then activity dropped
way off:  Nashville, Tennessee, n. parula, yellow, yellow-rumped, blackpoll,
chestnut-sided, magnolia, pine, prairie, black-throated green, B&W, Am.
redstart, prothonotary, ovenbird, L. waterthrush, Kentucky, common
yellowthroat, chat.
* lots of Swainson's and gray-cheeked thrushes.

Sloughs WMA near Henderson
* shorebird unit near Hardy Slough:  2 long-billed dowitchers
(photographed), 4 dunlin headed for alternate plumage, both yellowlegs,
least sandpipers
* along 268, both yellowlegs, spotted sandpiper, and semipalmated plovers.

Ben Yandell
Louisville