[birdky] Wayne County CBC

  • From: "Roseanna Denton" <roseanna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Terry Campbell" <Terry_Campbell@xxxxxxx>, "Donald E Pelly" <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Steve Stedman" <SSTEDMAN@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:36:24 -0500

We did the Wayne County CBC yesterday 19 Dec. and recorded 85 species with 5506
individual birds.

Firsts for this count were Ross's Goose (adult at Conley Bottom, Lake
Cumberland), Northern Bobwhite (4 birds at the cemetery on 3106), Horned Lark
and a House Wren (near Jabez in Russell County).

2 Fox Sparrows (only 1 other on this count)
116 black Vultures (most on the tower near Conley Bottom
Bald Eagle 1 adult
American Pipit 51
Red-headed Woodpecker 4

Despite 5 hours and 39 miles owling we only turned up 2 Eastern Screech Owls
and 1 Barred Owl.

Waterfowl:
Ross's Goose 1
Canada Goose 249
Gadwall 51
American Wigeon 15
Am Black Duck 5
Mallard 65
Northern Pintail 6
Green-winged Teal 1
Ring-necked Duck 3
Bufflehead 3
Common Goldeneye 2
Hooded Merganser 6
Red-breasted Merganser 1
Common Loon 2
Pied-billed Grebe 13
Horned Grebe 68
Am. Coot 3

My favorite part of the day was after the sun had gone down and produced an
orange glow over Cooley's lesser ponds down over the hill. The ducks, Killdeer
and snipe were just a silhouette in the light. The snipes began calling and
flying off, presumably to an unknown roosting place.

Thanks to Terry Campbell, Gay Hodges, Arlene Morton, Donald Pelly and Stephen
Stedman for helping count the birds.

Birding smiles . . . . .

~Roseanna Denton
Science Hill, Pulaski County